Two men charged in the shooting of Detective Kyle Gilmartin are due in court Tuesday morning for their sentencing.
SCRANTON, Pa. — Two years and 5 weeks: that’s how long it’s been since Scranton Police Detective Kyle Gilmartin was shot in the line of duty.
Now, 25 months later, the two men who shot him will be sentenced on Tuesday for their crime.
It was early morning of January 11th, 2024, Detective Gilmartin and his partner had been investigating shots fired throughout different parts of Scranton.
They had followed the trail to West Scranton, and on the 500 block of Hyde Park Avenue, 20-year-old Aiden Deininger opened fire, shooting Detective Gilmartin twice in the head. Gilmartin’s partner returned fire, injuring Deininger. Both Gilmartin and Deininger were taken to Geisinger CMC.
“He remains in critical but stable condition under the care of physicians, nurses, and staff at Geisinger CMC”, said Chief Thomas Carroll of Scranton Police Department.
Officers say prior to the shooting, Deininger and 19-year-old Jeremiah Cleveland had been firing shots into homes on Harrison and Prospect avenues.
“What we’re seeing is gang infiltration in Lackawanna County, and not in Lackawanna County in general, but in the state of Pennsylvania,” said Trooper Robert Urban of Pennsylvania State Police.Â
Cleveland was arrested for discharging a firearm into a home with people in it, among other charges. He was walked out of the state police barracks and taken to jail.
5 days later, on January 17th, Deininger was arraigned in his hospital room. He was charged with three counts of attempted homicide against a police officer, among other related charges.
On January 23rd, Detective Gilmartin was transferred from Geisinger CMC to a rehab facility near Philadelphia and would return to Scranton at the beginning of March, where he spoke publicly for the first time.
“That night I was just an ordinary man placed in extraordinary circumstances in which I faced evil and won due to the grace of god,” Detective Kyle Gilmartin says.Â
New details began to unfold in early February, after a new charge of soliciting aggravated assault for Cleveland appeared in court files. Deininger agreed to speak with troopers on January, the day he was charged. He told them that Cleveland directed him on January 11 to shoot at homes in Scranton of people allegedly involved in an assault on Cleveland’s girlfriend. Deininger complied.Â
In October 2025, almost a year and a half later, Deininger pled guilty to all 28 of his charges, while Cleveland pled guilty to 5 out of 6 charges.
And now on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m., at the Lackawanna County Courthouse, Deininger and Cleveland will be sentenced for their crimes.
The district attorney plans to host a news conference afterwards, watch it live on Newswatch 16, and stream it on WNEP+.Â