Texas News Beep
  • News Beep
  • Texas
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
  • Dallas
  • Fort Worth
  • Austin
  • United States
Texas News Beep
Texas News Beep
  • News Beep
  • Texas
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
  • Dallas
  • Fort Worth
  • Austin
  • United States
Staffing shortages cited by San Antonio park police after string of vehicle break-ins at McAllister Park
SSan Antonio

Staffing shortages cited by San Antonio park police after string of vehicle break-ins at McAllister Park

  • January 22, 2026

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Park Police Officers Association (SAPPOA) is calling on city leadership to address what the association called a “staffing crisis.”

With approximately 150 members, SAPPOA is responsible for providing public safety at the city’s parks, trails and greenways.

In a news release addressed to the city, the association said recent vehicle break-ins at McAllister Park has sparked concern among residents and visitors.

SAPPOA said approximately 44 park police positions were transferred to SAPD, leaving the association with a “significant manpower shortage that directly impacts coverage and response capability.”

The association said no additional officers have been assigned since the transfers and they are now short 70 park police officers.

“We have lost dozens of positions, and no plan has been communicated to us on how—or if—those officers will be replaced. That shortage may only worsen,” Henry Bassuk, president of SAPPOA said.

SAPPOA urged city leadership to establish a “clear, sustainable plan to ensure adequate patrols and response citywide.”

“You cannot continue to reduce staffing and expect the same level of service,” Bassuk said. “Public safety should not be treated as optional.”

According to San Antonio Police Chief William McManus, the city began transitioning park law enforcement responsibilities to SAPD “as part of a broader effort to strengthen coverage, improve recruitment, and provide a more unified public safety.”

Sixty-five vacant park and airport police positions were transitioned to SAPD and are currently in the process of being filed, McManus said.

“Throughout this transition, park coverage will remain uninterrupted,” McManus said. “Staffing needs are being managed through a combination of overtime, patrol-by coverage, and specialized SAPD units will deploy as needed to address emerging crime patterns.”

McManus said the department will continue to monitor activity at McAllister Park and across the park system throughout the transition.

The full statement can be read below:

“Protecting residents and visitors in our parks remains a priority. In May of last year, the City began transitioning park law enforcement responsibilities to the San Antonio Police Department as part of a broader effort to strengthen coverage, improve recruitment, and provide a more unified public safety presence.

“In the FY26 budget year, 65 vacant Park and Airport Police positions were transitioned to SAPD and are currently in the process of being filled.

“Throughout this transition, park coverage will remain uninterrupted. Staffing needs are being managed through a combination of overtime, patrol-by coverage, and specialized SAPD units will deploy as needed to address emerging crime patterns.

“SAPD will continue monitoring activity at McAllister Park and across the park system throughout the transition and will adjust resources as needed to keep parks safe for everyone.”

SAPD Chief William McManus

Read more:

Copyright 2026 by KSAT – All rights reserved.

  • Tags:
  • McAllister Park
  • Outdoors
  • Parks
  • San Antonio
  • San Antonio Headlines
  • San Antonio News
  • San Antonio Park Police
Texas News Beep
www.newsbeep.com