El Paso Mayor Renard Johnson called for a “full, independent investigation” into the death of 55‑year‑old Cuban immigrant Geraldo Lunas Campos at the Camp East Montana ICE detention center that was ruled a homicide.

Lunas Campos became unresponsive while being physically restrained by law enforcement, the autopsy report released by the El Paso County Medical Examiner on Wednesday, Jan. 21.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility, located on Fort Bliss property, has drawn repeated allegations of inhumane conditions and inadequate oversight. It has a projected capacity of 5,000 detainees and held about 3,250 people as of Dec. 19.

El Paso Mayor Renard Johnson has called for an independent investigation into the death of an immigrant that an autopsy deemed a homicide at the ICE Camp East Montana facility. Johnson is seen at a public event in this photo from earlier this year.

El Paso Mayor Renard Johnson has called for an independent investigation into the death of an immigrant that an autopsy deemed a homicide at the ICE Camp East Montana facility. Johnson is seen at a public event in this photo from earlier this year.

Johnson said “transparency, accountability, and human dignity are non-negotiable values” for the city.

“Recent immigration enforcement activity has also created understandable concern among families in our region,” the mayor added. Johnson emphasized that public safety depends on residents feeling safe accessing services, reporting crimes, and sending their children to school without fear.

El Paso County has also seen ICE agents at home construction sites in recent weeks, adding to community concerns.

Exclusive: 911 calls from migrant detention center highlight dire conditions

“El Paso is a community built by immigrants, strengthened by diversity, and guided by compassion and the rule of law,” Johnson said, adding that the city is working with community partners to distribute accurate information and ensure families know where to find support.

Geraldo Lunas Campos

Geraldo Lunas Campos

Lunas Campos was arrested by immigration authorities on July 14 during a planned enforcement operation in Rochester, New York, before being transferred to El Paso on Sept. 6, according to ICE. Officials said he had a lengthy criminal record, including convictions for weapon possession, sexual contact with a child under 11, reckless driving, and drug‑related offenses.

Lunas Campos’ death on Jan. 3 is one of at least three reported since the facility opened in August. The most recent death was that of Victor Manuel Diaz, a 36‑year‑old Nicaraguan immigrant, on Jan. 14. ICE said Diaz died of a presumed suicide. The first death at the center involved Guatemalan immigrant Francisco Gaspar Cristóbal Andrés, 48, who died Dec. 3 of liver and kidney failure, according to ICE.

Johnson said the city will continue advocating for “humane, fair, and orderly immigration policies that respect due process and keep families together whenever possible,” reaffirming that El Paso will “continue to lead with dignity and humanity while upholding the law and protecting our residents.”

Aaron Bedoya is a manager and content editor for the El Paso Times. He can be reached at abedoya@elpasotimes.com.

This article originally appeared on El Paso Times: El Paso mayor calls for investigation after immigrant homicide