WATCH LIVE HERE

SAN ANTONIO — Students from more than 50 San Antonio schools plan to hold a press conference, mutual aid drive, and march Monday to protest cooperation between local officials, law enforcement, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The demonstration is set to begin at 2 p.m. at the Municipal Plaza Building off West Commerce Street before proceeding to the Alamo, organizers said.

The event, organized by San Antonio Students for Peace in collaboration with student leaders, comes amid nationwide school walkouts against mass deportation and ICE-related violence.

“Students are the future of this country, and staying silent means letting decisions be made without us,” said high school organizer Daniel Perez. “This is our moment to speak up and take responsibility for protecting and supporting our community.”

Earlier this month, the Texas Education Agency warned that participation in “inappropriate political activism” by students, teachers, or school districts could result in investigations, loss of state funding, or even state takeover of local school boards. On Feb. 4, TEA Commissioner Mike Morath appointed Levi Fuller as the agency’s first inspector general for education misconduct, a position tasked with overseeing investigations, enforcement actions, and certification sanctions.

San Antonio Students for Peace criticized these measures as attempts to suppress student voices.

Comment with Bubbles

JOIN THE CONVERSATION (2)

DakotaRei Frausto, the group’s development and public relations director, called the actions “a new era of McCarthyism, one defined by mass digital surveillance and the accelerated dismantling of the education system.”