Carlos Luis Zambrano Bolivar was charged with capital murder in connection with the August 2024 kidnapping and killing of Nilzuhly Petit | Image from Farmers Branch Police Department

A Dallas County judge declared a mistrial Monday after jurors were unable to reach a unanimous verdict in a capital murder case tied to the Venezuelan street gang Tren de Aragua.

The case against Carlos Zambrano Bolivar is the first capital murder prosecution in Dallas County involving Tren de Aragua.

Jurors informed the court for a second and final time that they were deadlocked following three full days of deliberations.

“Let the record reflect that the jury has been deliberating three full days on the matter. That being the case, the court will declare a mistrial in this case,” Judge Ernest White said.

The jury initially reported being unable to reach a unanimous decision Friday afternoon. The court instructed jurors to continue deliberating. When they returned Monday still unable to agree, the judge declared a mistrial.

Bolivar is charged with capital murder in connection with the August 24, 2024 kidnapping and killing of 33-year-old Nilzuhly Petit.

According to a statement previously released by the Farmers Branch Police Department, Bolivar and three other suspects were charged with Capital Murder and two counts of Aggravated Kidnapping after Petit was forcibly taken from an apartment complex in Dallas and later shot and killed near the 1100 block of Valley View Lane in Farmers Branch.

Police stated that Petit and the suspects were “affiliated with the Venezuelan street gang Tren de Aragua.” Investigators said Petit was allegedly involved in a complex ATM theft operation and was targeted after being accused of withholding proceeds from other group members.

As previously reported by The Dallas Express, Bolivar was among three suspects arrested out of state in October 2024 in connection with the case.

During closing arguments, prosecutors argued Bolivar played a major role in coordinating the kidnapping and murder, including remaining on the phone with what they described as a gang leader.

Bolivar’s defense argued that he was a victim of sex trafficking and acted under duress, fearing for his life and the safety of his family.

“The jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict as to whether Carlos was acting by free choice or whether fear took that choice away. When there is that type of doubt, the law says the state has not met its burden. We thank the jury for their time and efforts over the last three weeks, listening to this case, listening to this evidence and we look forward to telling Carlos’ full story again,” defense attorney Sean Daredia said.

Before trial, Bolivar declined a plea agreement of 50 years in prison.

A new jury will be selected, and the case is expected to be retried later this year.