The tree removal work is expected to take several weeks to complete.
(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) Century-old ash trees lining Canyon Road in November 2024. The trees are scheduled to be removed starting Monday for a Logan waterline project.
For generations, century-old ash trees have lined Canyon Road in Logan’s Island neighborhood, their branches arching overhead like a leafy tunnel.
Next week, crews will begin cutting them down.
The trees are being removed to make way for a new waterline — part of a multimillion-dollar project to expand Logan’s drinking water system and meet the needs of the city’s growing population. The project includes building a 10-million-gallon drinking water storage tank near Utah State University’s ropes course north of Canyon Road.
Residents recently received notices that the nearly 20 ash trees will be removed starting Monday to prepare for construction on the city’s waterline project in the spring, said J-U-B Engineers, the civil engineering firm leading the work, in an emailed statement Tuesday.
The notice, shared with The Salt Lake Tribune, asks residents not to park on the street and warns of traffic restrictions during construction.
“Our project team is coordinating closely with all affected property owners along the corridor to ensure this goes smoothly,” the engineering firm wrote to The Tribune. “Temporary lane restrictions will be in place on Canyon Road during this work which is expected to take several weeks to complete.”
Earlier this year, the Logan City Council gave the nod for the city to borrow up to $60 million in bonds, with a maximum interest rate of 6% and a repayment period of up to 31 years. In March, the council approved using $10 million from existing city funds and $40 million in bonds to pay for the project.
What the road will look like after the project is complete is still unclear.
The engineering firm said planned roadway improvements will begin next summer after the pipeline is installed. This will include planting additional trees in the corridor, a shared-use pathway and landscaping improvements, the firm said.
About 820 people weighed in on the improvements in a public input survey that was presented to the City Council in October. The majority of respondents said they want to prioritize trees, walking and biking paths, slower vehicle speeds and improved safety for pedestrians.
The engineering firm said once the trees are removed, they will be stored at a city facility until officials decide what to do with them.
Hilary Shugart, former representative of the Wilson Neighborhood Council, said she hopes the city will discuss ways to honor and repurpose the trees, such as turning the trunks into sculptures, play structures or benches.
“These are far too beloved and iconic,” Shugart wrote in an email, “to [be] cut down and thrown in a wood chipper.”
Many residents fought for months to save the trees, and a grassroots petition has garnered more than 4,600 signatures as of Tuesday afternoon.
Mayor Holly Daines said in February that the city explored other routes for the pipeline, but the least expensive alternative would affect more properties and add $2.4 million to the project, noting that water rates have already risen as the city works to upgrade aging infrastructure.