SCOTTSDALE, Arizona — Manager Tony Vitello began his media availability on Tuesday morning by addressing his contentious comments on Monday regarding his departure from Tennessee.

“I think you’ve got to pick and choose your battles,” Vitello said. “Ain’t no big deal to me. You can’t change the past, and no one’s going to convince me otherwise that all that was inappropriate. I’m worried about baseball. I’m not worried about all that.

“Again, all that (was) is a conversation we were having yesterday, which I would like to have with you all every day. … But, like I said, it doesn’t change the fact that (Tennessee) has a good team over there under good leadership and I was very blessed to hook up with the winningest organization in MLB history, if you really want to do it by stats.”

Vitello began his availability on Monday with an unprompted airing of grievances that lasted about three minutes regarding how his final days as Tennessee’s head coach unfolded.

On Oct. 18 — four days before he was officially hired — The Athletic reported that the Giants were “closing in” on Vitello as their 40th manager in franchise history. The report did not say that Vitello had actually been hired.

When Vitello was informed that the initial report didn’t actually say that San Francisco hadn’t hired him yet, he responded by saying he’s “not throwing this water bottle at anybody”. He admitted he hadn’t read any of that day’s reporting.

The rookie manager was then asked for clarification on one especially cryptic comment from Monday when he said, “Somebody tweeted it out. I don’t know who told them. I wish I did. It might’ve changed the course of history if I would’ve known who did, to be honest with you.”

“Maybe how things were left,” Vitello said on Tuesday of that comment. “I wouldn’t take what I say too seriously. I mean, we were talking about Lil Wayne yesterday. I think the facts of the case were what I just said. It’s just that. Anybody else would react the exact same way. It has no real impact on the opportunity that was presented and it wouldn’t have changed what Buster and I would have agreed and joined to do. Just happened to be circumstantial.

“And like I said, when it affects the people — first off, myself, but then the people that I’m around every day, too. It was less than ideal circumstances, but pretty ideal circumstances. … Hell, yesterday, I said I’d pay good money to watch (Rafael) Devers and Robbie Ray hook it up for one at-bat if I was just outside the park and they’d let me pay for entry.”

Vitello said he didn’t hear back from any players or front office members about his comments, adding that he didn’t “say anything surprising that I know of” and “was just stating the facts.” He didn’t specify why he decided to air his grievances on Monday, only saying “maybe something brought it up.”

“Always better to get it off your chest than let it fester,” Vitello said. “Although everyone knows I’m Italian, but I’m also Irish so pretty good at burying it way deep down inside.”

When Vitello was asked if he considers himself to have thick skin, he responded by listing college coaches such as Augie Garrido and Dave Van Horn who have “thicker skin than I do,” but didn’t directly answer the question. Vitello said the reason he doesn’t read everything is partially by design, but also due to his busy schedule.

MLBPA executive director expected to resign 

Tony Clark, the executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), is expected to resign, according to a report from The Athletic.

Clark’s departure comes about 10 months before Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement expires on Dec. 1 at 11:59 p.m. ET and kicks off what is expected to be an extended labor battle that could result in the loss of regular-season games.

Clark, 53, and the union have been under federal investigation by the Eastern District of New York since last year regarding whether MLBPA officials have improperly used licensing money.

Smith lands MiLB deal with Atlanta

First baseman Dominic Smith, who played for the Giants last season, signed a one-year minor-league deal with the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday morning.

Smith, 30, signed a one-year major-league deal with San Francisco last June as part of Buster Posey’s midseason roster shakeup, one that saw LaMonte Wade Jr. designated for assignment.

Over 63 games, Smith posted a .284/.333/.417 slash line with five homers, one of which landed in the San Francisco Bay for the 107th Splash Hit in Oracle Park history.

Smith’s last act as a Giant came on Sept. 12 when he injured his right hamstring while stretching to receive a throw from third baseman Matt Chapman, a sacrifice that helped San Francisco maintain a 1-0 lead in a crucial game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.