Arizona star second baseman Ketel Marte apologized on Monday for missing a key series against the St. Louis Cardinals after the All-Star break and said his goal is to help the Diamondbacks win games.
The Arizona Republic last week reported that teammates and others in the organization have quietly grumbled about Marte’s habit of requesting off days. Marte took time off in July following the burglary of his Paradise Valley home that took place on the night Marte played in the All-Star Game near Atlanta.
Speaking to reporters at his locker through an interpreter, Marte said he doesn’t think he has taken too many days off, and those he has taken have been needed. Marte said he’s had injuries in the past and that he is following an organization plan devised to keep him on the field as much as possible.
Marte also requested an off day late last season as the Diamondbacks fought to make the playoffs, which they ultimately failed to do. His actions have fueled speculation that the Diamondbacks could look to trade the 31-year-old infielder, who last season finished third in National League MVP voting and remains an offensive force. In 92 games this season, Marte has hit 23 home runs and slashed .297/.397/.555.
“What I will say about Ketel are the things that I know,’’ Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo told reporters before Monday’s game. “He’s a great teammate. He’s a great young man. He goes out there and plays hard every single day for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He just wants to win baseball games. That’s it. I really don’t want to say much more than that, other than speaking about what I know of him.”
With the Diamondbacks fighting to stay in the NL playoff picture, Marte did not play in Arizona’s last game before the All-Star break, a 5-1 win over the Angels. At the All-Star Game, he started and ripped a double in his first at-bat. After his home was robbed that night, Marte traveled to his native Dominican Republic, missing Arizona’s first series of the second half, a three-game set against St. Louis.
USA Today reported the Diamondbacks placed Marte on the restricted list and didn’t pay him during his absence.
Marte, who has battled hamstring issues, said Monday that he intended to return to the team before the St. Louis series. “I want to publicly apologize for not backing that up,” he said.
After sweeping the Cardinals, the Diamondbacks began a slide and became sellers at the trade deadline, dealing first baseman Josh Naylor, All-Star third baseman Eugenio Suarez and right-hander Merrill Kelly, among others. The Diamondbacks (60-65) entered Monday 6 1/2 games out of the NL’s final wild-card spot.
Shortstop and team leader Geraldo Perdomo defended Marte following Sunday’s home loss to the Colorado Rockies, telling reporters to “leave the guy alone” and let him play baseball. Lovullo had a similar message Monday.
“It’s over,’’ he said. “I want to put it behind us because we got baseball games we got to go out there and win. That’s our main focus.”
(Photo: Thien-An Truong / Getty Images)