A Boston man was charged last week in connection with breaking into Trillium Brewing Company’s Fenway location less than three weeks after completing a prison sentence for convictions on similar charges, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday.
Michael Dias, 46, is facing breaking and entering during the nighttime, malicious destruction of property over $1,200, larceny from a building and common and notorious thief charges, the district attorney’s office said in a press release.
On July 3, Boston police responded to a report of a break-in at Trillium’s Fenway location around 3:40 a.m., the district attorney’s office said. Officers spoke with a security guard, who reported that, while making his rounds, he discovered that the brewery’s front door had been smashed.
Officers noticed that Trillium’s front door was shattered and that a large rock was on the floor of the bar, the district attorney’s office said. They also found what appeared to be blood droplets on the bar top, cash register and floor and sent samples to the crime lab for analysis.
Security video from a nearby business shows a man — who was later identified as Dias — repeatedly throwing a rock through Trillium’s front door and kicking the glass until he is able to enter through the broken door, the district attorney’s office said. Once inside the brewery, he can be seen taking the cash register off the counter and smashing it on the ground. The video then shows Dias leaning over the bar top in the area where the blood droplets were found before leaving through the smashed door.
Dias was previously convicted in connection with a pattern of break-ins in 2019 and 2020 during which he broke into businesses by throwing a rock through their front doors and stole cash by smashing their cash registers, the district attorney’s office said. He pleaded guilty to charges in those cases in September 2020 and received a seven-year prison sentence. Dias ultimately spent five years in prison and was released on June 17.
“It is always our hope that incarcerated individuals keep their lives moving forward when they reenter society. The facts here indicate that this person reverted, very quickly, to the behavior that sent him to prison in the first place,” Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in the release.
A Roxbury District Court judge released Dias on personal recognizance bail and ordered him to stay away from Trillium’s Fenway location during his arraignment on the new charges, the district attorney’s office said. He is due back in court on Sept. 25.
If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.