Former Rangers are flocking west, Panarin’s future grows cloudier, and a new defensive name hits the rumor radar. Plus, could a team haircut cure the home-ice curse?

© Brad Penner-Imagn Images
Welcome back to Media Bytes, a weekly column from Blueshirt Banter. Every Sunday, we’ll help you start the week right with a quick catch-up on the latest stories and developments around the New York Rangers and the broader NHL media landscape.
Ex-Rangers Fly Together?
1. In recent years, the Anaheim Ducks have quietly assembled a growing group of former New York Rangers. What began with Frank Vatrano has since expanded to include Ryan Strome, former captain Jacob Trouba, and, most recently, Chris Kreider. On Monday’s episode of 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman added to the speculation, saying he “wondered” if Artemi Panarin might also be a fit in Anaheim. He cited the Ducks’ deep pool of young talent and reports that Panarin and the Rangers remain divided on contract term in their extension talks.
“I wondered if a guy like Panarin might make some sense [in Anaheim] … they have a ton of young talent. I just wondered, short-term, see what the number could be? I think Panarin wants to be in New York and we’ll see if this works out.” #NYR #FlyTogether https://t.co/3lTEdTxWKP
— Phil Kocher (@PhilKocher) November 3, 2025
Friedman also highlighted another possible draw: Joel Quenneville, the coach who helped Panarin break into the NHL in Chicago and who took over behind the Ducks’ bench this summer. “Just a thought, Kyle,” Friedman said to co-host Kyle Bukauskas. A thought that suddenly doesn’t seem so far-fetched.
2. Last week, Frank Seravalli floated the idea that the Carolina Hurricanes could be a landing spot for Artemi Panarin. This week, he doubled down, telling Bleacher Report Open Ice that contract talks between Panarin and the Rangers have been “very slow.” Seravalli added that while Chris Drury is taking time to evaluate the roster before committing, the Hurricanes are “closely monitoring” the situation.
NHL Insider Notebook with @frank_seravalli 📲
▫️ Oilers looking at the trade market? 👀
▫️ The Penguins hot start 🔥
▫️ The latest on Artemi Panarin 🍞
Watch at 1:30pm ET in the B/R apphttps://t.co/H8ACOq7WQE pic.twitter.com/Oy3ROcnNZ1
— B/R Open Ice (@BR_OpenIce) November 3, 2025
As mentioned previously, Panarin’s pending UFA status—not to mention his desire for term that doesn’t appear to align with the Rangers’ stance—will fuel trade speculation all season. It also doesn’t help that he’s one of several top-six forwards struggling to produce so far.
A three-point night against the Detroit Red Wings on Friday helped bring him up to 10 points through his first 15 games, but that level of production is well short of his career average as a 1.15 points per game player.
A Long Hard Road Out of Hell?
3. On Wednesday’s Morning Cuppa Hockey, Jonny Lazarus asked Elliotte Friedman about the Rangers’ direction, noting that some fans are already calling for another rebuild. Friedman dismissed the idea immediately, saying owner James Dolan has no appetite for one.
“It’s not happening,” Friedman told Lazarus and Colby Cohen. “There’s no rebuild coming [in New York].”
Two key takeaways from @FriedgeHNIC on #NYR direction:
1. “Rebuild? It’s not happening. There’s no rebuild coming [in New York].”
2. “I’m not saying that Panarin’s not trying … but it’s hard not to look at him and say he’s affected by the fact he isn’t signed next year.” https://t.co/zyUxX78qK1
— Phil Kocher (@PhilKocher) November 5, 2025
Vince Mercogliano reinforced this on the Thursday episode of The Flying V podcast, telling listeners that, assuming things don’t improve between now and the deadline, he doesn’t think it’s going to be “a strip down.” Instead, “it’s gonna be more trying to add to the core they have right now through trades, free agency, and they hope internal development,” Mercogliano said. “Certainly, I don’t think you’re going to see [the Rangers] blowing it up.”
So what’s next? Broadly, it’s too soon to say. But assuming the team’s direction doesn’t shift before the deadline, Mercogliano offered a clearer picture, suggesting that “there’s definitely a world where [the Rangers are] selling off players they don’t plan to keep — while also adding guys with term and team control who can help not just this season, but beyond.”
To what degree that applies remains to be seen, but one thing is clear: The Rangers aren’t starting over. At least not in a “down to the studs” sense. For now, their path forward is to push through with the group they have.
Oh Hi, Lohrei?
4. Speaking to Nick Zararis and Andrew Chelney on the Liberty Blue podcast, former Rangers’ beat writer Arthur Staple suggested a strategic trade for the Rangers in Boston Bruins’ defenseman Mason Lohrei.
The #NYR are back home tonight vs. Carolina (minus K’Andre Miller, still on IR), still searching for the first win at MSG:
— Mike Sullivan’s emerging defensive style will be put to the test tonight against the Canes, who will do what they usually do — throw pucks and bodies…
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNHL) November 4, 2025
Staple described him as a “bigger kid with decent offensive and puck-moving abilities,” and argued that aside from Scott Morrow—who has just one point in his first seven games with Hartford—the Rangers lack “someone besides Fox who has good offensive instincts and ability.” The 24-year-old defender previously played under current Rangers assistant coach Joe Sacco and is in the first season of a two-year contract worth $3.2 million annually.
The Boys Should be Buzzing
5. The Rangers have been shut out five times in their first eight home games. If Shaving his head again earned Panarin a goal and two assists, it might soon be time for a little team bonding…at the barber.
