Rochester, N.Y. (WHAM) — Two teenage men and two juveniles have been charged after police said more than 100 vehicles were broken into or otherwise entered early Thursday across eastern Monroe County.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said a call came in around 2:15 a.m. from a homeowner reporting her vehicle had been stolen from her home on Rand Place in Pittsford.
“We’re still getting calls throughout the day of other people who have found their property damaged,” said Captain Matthew Kreuzer.
Kreuzer said that was followed by numerous calls for vehicle break-ins and items stolen from senior communities, apartment complexes and more in both Perinton and Penfield
“We had everything from a gun, numerous credit cards were stolen, people’s IDs were stolen,” Kreuzer said. “We found IDs throughout the whole county, reports we don’t even know about yet.”
Deputies said a Fairport police officer tried to stop a Kia Sportage in the area of the reported break-ins, the vehicle took off, prompting a pursuit that ended in a crash at Green Valley and Green Ridge roads in Perinton, where the vehicle’s five occupants fled into the woods.
While police — including drone and K-9 units — searched for the suspects through streams and heavy brush, according to Kreuzer, the sheriff’s office continued to receive similar reports of break-ins and thefts.
Kreuzer said the five suspects were eventually taken into custody, with a deputy finding a loaded gun — which had been stolen from a vehicle in Fairport — near the woods. Credit cards and identification were among the other items stolen.
Dayshaun Wilson, 19, Xavion Goolsby, 18, and a 16-year-old boy were each arrested on the following charges:
Third-degree criminal possession of stolen propertyFourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property (firearm)10 counts of fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property (credit card)Second-degree criminal possession of a weaponPossession of burglar tools
Wilson and Goolsby were held in the Monroe County Jail on $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond, according to the sheriff’s office, while the 16-year-old was being held in the Monroe County Children’s Detention Center.
A 15-year-old boy was charged with one count of third-degree criminal possession of stolen property. He was released with an appearance ticket. The fifth suspect, a 17-year-old boy, has not been charged.
“Some of it comes down to right there at home, right? What kind of supervision do we have?” Kreuzer said. “Do we have the support system in place for parents who need to work overnight or can’t be home with their kids? As far as punishments, I’ll leave that up to the court, but I do think that what we’re doing right now isn’t working.”
The sheriff’s office said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges are anticipated.