PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The second year of Juan Soto’s marriage with the New York Mets is starting with significant change, and the superstar outfielder is on board with it.
The clubhouse is different. Or at least that’s the expectation. After the Mets failed to make the playoffs in the first season of Soto’s 15-year, $765 million deal, multiple media outlets reported on New York’s clubhouse atmosphere. Mets manager Carlos Mendoza told the New York Post that while the clubhouse had a professional room, the vibe became “corporate.”
When asked about his perception of the clubhouse last year, Soto said on Sunday, “That is in the past. We forget about it. We focus on 2026.”
How could things improve in that area in 2026?
Soto said, “Have fun. Forget about all the drama and everything. Focus on the game, and win some ballgames.”
The contrast in styles between Soto and Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor also drew attention after the season. People within the team last year said Soto was more businesslike, with everything in service of performing in that night’s game, whereas Lindor carried a more laid-back, even friendlier, approach. When Soto was asked about Lindor on Sunday, he said, “I think it’s a great relationship. We talk all the time in the game and everything. We help each other.”
While Soto and Lindor are back (though Lindor will be out for about six weeks after hamate surgery), the rest of the Mets’ roster, particularly the lineup, is different. Pete Alonso, Brandon Nimmo and Jeff McNeil are gone. Bo Bichette, Jorge Polanco and Luis Robert Jr. are here.
“I think they were great moves,” Soto said. “(President of baseball operations David Stearns and assistant general manager Eduardo Brizuela), they sat down and made great moves. Definitely, they tried hard on big names, big players. They missed, but they found a way to get a better team. We have a really good team. We have everything we need right now. When you see the roster, I think we are really complete.”
Soto, who hit 43 home runs with 38 stolen bases and a .921 OPS, is someone who believes in lineup protection. It was one of the things he liked about the Mets re-signing Alonso a year ago. Mendoza said last week that he was leaning toward opening his lineup with Lindor, Soto and Bichette.
“We are going to see,” Soto said when asked about lineup protection in 2026. “We are going to have Bo. Bo, I trust him. He’s a great hitter. He can hit homers. He can hit for average. He’s a great protection.”
Even Soto’s position is different heading into this season. Stearns announced last week that Soto was moving from right to left field, where he played 154 games in 2023 while with the San Diego Padres. Soto was set to play left field in the World Baseball Classic. That opened the door to a conversation about where he was most comfortable, according to Soto, Stearns and Mendoza. Soto added that the club was also interested in right fielders (they offered Kyle Tucker a deal, but he signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers). Either way, Soto said he was comfortable playing anywhere the Mets most needed him.
“I think it’s going to be great for the team,” Soto said.